PAPER-BASED TEST AND COMPUTER-DELIVERED TEST (IELTS)
For almost 30 years, IELTS has been a paper-based English test that people like you have used to accomplish their work, study and migration dreams. Listening, Reading and Writing are completed in one sitting. The Speaking test may be taken on the same day or up to seven days before or after the other tests, after which the test results are accessed between 13 to 14 days. Over the periods, test takers have asked for more choice and to satisfy this request, Computer-delivered IELTS was introduced.
Computer-delivered IELT is the same IELTS test you know, delivered via computer, with multiple test sessions a day with faster results. What this means is that with computer-delivered IELTS, there are more test dates and sessions available, allowing you to choose a test time most convenient for you and availability of results in 5 to 7 days. Whether you take the paper-based or computer-delivered IELTS, you can be confident that it’s the same trusted English Language Test. The computer-delivered IELTS is being introduced globally but for a time being, its only offered in the following countries: Australia, Argentina, Canada, Colombia, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.
If you choose to take the IELTS on a computer, you will take the Listening, Reading and Writing tests using a computer. The Speaking test will remain face-to-face with an examiner, as it is believed to be the most effective way of assessing your speaking skills and prompts a more lifelike performance. The British Council is committed to making sure that IELTS is available to everyone. If you have a special requirement, kindly register for IELTS on paper, as this format is available worldwide, and caters to all test takers irrespective of need. If you select “IELTS on a computer”, you will enter a different registration system, and they will not be able to cater to your requirement.
Let’s look at the few reasons why the computer-delivered IELTS is distinguished from the paper-based;
- The test is much more convenient – For some reason, the whole process of booking the computer-based IELTS test seemed easier and less confusing. Instead of a ridiculously long email with lists of DOs and DON’Ts, I instead was greeted with a very simple set of instructions…
- Use the headphones to help you concentrate – The use of the headphones while you write and while you do the reading test incredibly help block out any noise — not that there is much noise with the few people in the exam room — but it allowed you to concentrate on your reading and writing. The headphones act as earmuffs.
- Faster IELTS test results – The big improvement that this test format has over the old one is that you get your results in just 5-7 days. That’s 6-7 days sooner than the paper-based test.
- The writing section is much easier – the difference computer-delivered test made to the writing section was significant. You will agree with me that typing is way easier, faster and clearer than handwriting. This new option also allows you to rewrite your sentences and restructure your paragraphs. At the end of the test, you don’t need to stress yourself to count the words since the computer aids in that function.
- The reading section has highlighting and many other options to flag key words when reading.